Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sherie:

Oh, how I loved that name when growing up!! I always thought I would name a little girl, Cheri Rebecca. Sherry seemed to be the most popular name (or so I thought) while in school. So many ways to spell the name and all three of my friends spelled theirs different.
The first Sherry I met was my good friend since elementary, Sharon Laurel Deaton. We were good friend throughout school and after. She spelled her name, Sherri. I remember in high school we were trying different ways to spell her name, Shari, Sheri, Cherri, Sharey, etc. I wanted to be cool too and spell Connie a different way. We came up with Coni, Konni, and it just didn't look right. I tried Coni for quite a while. Mom never said a word about it, I guess she figured it would wear off after awhile and it did. But when spelled it Coni most people would call me coney. Nope, guess I'll just be Connie. Sherri was her own person and was always willing to try something new. I was timid and afraid to try anything out of the ordinary. We were an odd pair to most people but our friendship was very strong and we always had a good time. I spent many nights at her house growing up. I was very close to her family and miss her Mom very much.
Sherri got married in June after we graduated. I was in her outdoor wedding near Plato where her and Mike made their home. Dwayne and I visited often with her and Mike before they moved to Springfield. Our lives do not meet much throughout the years as Sherri has moved quite a bit. But believe me, when we get together we have lots of catching up to do.
Sherrie, another good friend I met in high school. Sherrie Bishop and her family moved to Vienna in her senior year. We became good friends and again, a most unusual pair. I haven't been in contact with Sherrie for years but would love to visit with her again. She had a beautiful little girl, Michelle the year after we graduated. I don't think I've seen Sherrie since Michelle was around a year old. After she moved away, we lost contact with each other.
And now to the Sherie that has been my best friend since 1973. I honestly don't remember when Sherie and I first ran into each other. She came out weekends and summers and stayed with her grandma who was our neighbor down the road. I always knew the family but really didn't visit with them. I think we met when her brother was running around with another neighbor or ours, Rocky. However, we became best friends.
It is funny the first time we went somewhere together. Sherie is two years younger than me but looked older, which was important at that age. I always looked at least two, maybe three years younger than my age. We had gone to a dance for teenagers at a barn by Macedonia church. Her cousin, Millie was there with her friends. She took Sherie aside and said, I didn't know you had to babysit tonight. lol She thought Sherie was babysitting me and had to bring me along.
So many stories of our times together. I was her maid of honor and she was mine. Our second sons were born the same day. I was due April 4th, 1981 and she was due around the first of May. I was two weeks late and had Todd at 10 a.m. on April 17th. Imagine my surprise (and hers) when her son, Jerami was born two weeks early and arrived around 10 p.m. on the 17th of April!! It would have been so neat if we would have got to stay in the same hospital room.
Long story short, today is Sherie's birthday. Sherie Lyn, her name is spelled so unique, first and middle. And in a time different spellings weren't the norm.
I so need to look up old pictures at home and post my different friends of Sherry's.

Happy Birthday, Sherie!!

I am grateful for good friends and just for fun, the name Sherry.

2 comments:

  1. That's confusing! lol Too many Sheries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think, your name could have been Cheri Rebecca!!

    ReplyDelete