Thursday, September 22, 2011

Molasses Time:


It's that time of year. Dwayne and the boys have been getting ready for molasses making at Mom and Dad's this weekend. I tried to take pictures yesterday of them stripping cane but my battery was dead on the camera. It is really a neat process to watch. The cane is extra tall and straight this year.
There is a lot of work involved, planting, cultivating, stripping the cane, cutting the cane, hauling it in. And that is all before you can even begin the day on Saturday of the cooking process.
My work isn't all that involved. Mom (even though 83) still does most of the preparing of the food, along with everyone bringing in dishes. I've bought the paper products, jars, etc. Tomorrow night will consist of making several side dishes and a couple of cakes.
An exciting time of year in our family. I'll post pictures next week of the whole process.

SO grateful for my husband, brother-in-law, sons and nephews for carrying on the Arch Feeler tradition of making molasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment