Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mark:


Today would have been my brother's birthday. I sometimes wonder what he would have been like, would we have been close, who would he look like, etc. But I don't dwell on it. I grew up knowing I had a brother with a heart condition and could not get better. A fact of life, sad but a knowledge that was the way it was, acceptance, because Mom and Dad accepted it. I have never heard any bitterness from Mom or Dad in the loss of Mark. I can't imagine the pain Mom and Dad went through caring for a baby knowing he would die. Two precious months they had with him, caring for him, feeding and cuddling him, all knowing there was nothing that could be done to heal him. A malformed heart in the year of 1953 was not fixable. What a long way medicine and technology has come since then.
I had a brother, he was loved. Along with his loss, I have learned how strong my parents are.
Happy Birthday, Mark, we love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment