Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bentley:

I posted a couple weeks ago about Dwayne buying some cows. I wasn't too happy of a camper over that. Well, the birth of our new baby I named Bentley changed all that!!
I can't believe I'm so excited over a calf's birth.
I rode with Dwayne last night to Vichy to check the cows. Gertrude (the first cow bought) had just had a calf. It's a good thing we went over as the cow had tried crossing the small stream of water that flows into the lake and the calf couldn't get back up. Dwayne found it in the water and it had almost drowned. He got it up and took it to it's Momma. Me and Zach were so excited!! Zach kept saying, awe, awe and I was, too. I told Dwayne I was naming him Bentley after the little boy on Teen Mom. He's like, you don't name all the calves. I'm like, oh, yes I am going to. I kept on and on about how exciting it was to see the calf soon after it was born. He's like, you mean in all these years you've went with your dad to check cows and when we had them before, you've never seen a calf soon after it was born? I'm like, well, I guess I haven't, this is exciting.
Help, please: Momma cow looking at Dwayne as if to say, I can't hide him in the woods and get him to cross the water again......






On the way home, I was planning on names for the future cows and calves. Zach asks me if I'm writing a history or something. I replied, yes, the Elrod Cow Family Tree.
So far, we have Gertrude who begot Bentley.
The other cows names will be revealed as they have their babies.

I am grateful (and believe me so is Dwayne!!) that I have come around and am now happy to have cows again. I asked Dwayne when he was going to buy HIM some as these were mine.

1 comment:

  1. Naming the cows hmm I can totally see you doing that. I wanted to name our cow but Kenny wouldn't let me since we would be eating it this winter.
    Seeing a baby calf right after birth is a neat experience. I remember being a little kid and Andy taking Josh, Dustin and I to check cows and being able to see the new babies.

    ReplyDelete