Monday, August 30, 2010

Weekend Recap:

Friday:
Had a very good day at work so decided we needed to go out and celebrate. Dwayne and I ate at Applebees. The food was very good. Sometimes when we go, it is so busy and the food is just okay. I think with more competition in town, the service is now better and the quality of food is better than it had been.
Saturday:
Dwayne went to Vichy to help pour the floor on Kenny and Shelley's house. I did his job of going to the bank and to MFA. Such exciting ventures we have!! lol
That afternoon, I watched Nathan and Blake while April went to a bridal shower. The boys had a lot of fun and it is neat to watch Nathan be in awe of his big brother. No matter what Blake does, Nathan cracks up laughing.
Sunday:
My Mom's parents are buried at Watt's Cemetery out around Edgar Springs, MO. They still have their memorial day the same as when the circuit preacher came around years ago. He always came on the fifth Sunday of whichever month if fell on. It was in August this year. I feel bad that I always refer to them as Mom's parents instead of my grandparents. I don't know if it is because they died before I was born or just what, but I seldom refer to them as my grandma and grandpa. Mom was only ten years old when her Mom died just five days before Christmas. I think this has had a big impact on my Mom losing her mother so young. After losing her mom so young, my Mom grew to have a close relationship with her dad. It was then especially hard on Mom to lose her dad.
Mom and Dad by Grandma and Grandpa Williams Grave:

I drove Mom and Dad out to the Watt's Cemetery yesterday to "decorate" the graves. This was a big event in my childhood. Mom would try to save money each year to have a new dress. Mom got up way before any of us to cook dinner to take. She made fried chicken, several pies (usually raisin for my cousin's Otis and John) and other dishes. This would all be packed into a cardboard box along with our plates, (no paper then, our everyday dishes were used)and real silverware. I don't remember Mom taking drinking glasses so we most probably used Aunt Mary's. The day was spent visiting with family. We most often went to Flat, MO to my Aunt Mary and Uncle Ike Mathis' house. There was always tons of food and family you didn't see but maybe once a year. It was always a fun time.
This year was no different, Mom got up early, fixed us a lunch of fried chicken, stuffing, potatoes, muffins and water in quart jars. One difference was the food was packed in a cooler versus the cardboard box. We ate our lunch under the bridge in Newburg after enjoying a ride through the countryside off Highway J. Mom and Dad reminisced about times they spent here and there as we went through.
The Spring: (off Hwy J)

Mom and I:

Dad and Mom:

Sixty-Three Years Married and still very loving:


Yesterday was bittersweet. I loved the time spent with Mom and Dad, the tradition of visiting the graves on the 5th Sunday, eating lunch and just being together. But the day also reminded me of how close the day is to come for me to lose my parents. I really cannot complain, I (and the rest of my family) have had many, many years with my parents and enjoyed all of the many times together. I have much to be grateful for.

If you have a moment, please say a prayer for me. I am at a difficult time in my life "letting go" of my parents. I shouldn't be doing this but it seems as if I'm mourning them before they are gone and in the same breathe I am so grateful for their life and enjoying each moment spent with them.

1 comment:

  1. It is going be be hard for you when you lose your Mom & Dad. You all are such a close family- which is a wonderful thing! I wish all families were as close as yours!

    I'll be thinking of you, Connie! :)

    ReplyDelete