Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lasagna Recipe made with Grape Jelly:


Lasagna
1 medium size onion, chopped (1 Cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can tomatoes (2 lb. 3 oz.)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
2 tsp. salt / ¼ tsp. black pepper
1 container Ricotta Cheese (1 lb.)
1 pkg. Mozzarella Cheese, sliced (8 oz.) I usually use more than called for and use both shredded and sliced.
½ to 1 lb. ground beef
2 tblsp. Vegetable oil
2 tsp. leaf basil, crumbled
2 tsp. leaf oregano, crumbled
Lasagna noodles (9 pieces)
1 jar Parmesan Cheese (3 oz.)
Optional: 2 tbsp. Grape Jelly
1. Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft in large skillet.
Add ground beef and brown. (Pour off fat)
2. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste,grape jelly, basil and oregano, salt and pepper.
Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently apprx. 45 minutes or until sauce thickens.
3. While sauce simmers, cook lasagna noodles following label directions. Drain,
and place in a bowl of cold water to keep from sticking together.
4. When ready to assemble; drain noodles. Spoon a little sauce on the bottom
of 13x9x2 baking dish. Arrange 3 strips of noodles over the sauce; spoon on
1/3 Ricotta Cheese, 1/3 Mozzarella Slices/Shredded, and 1/3 Parmesan Cheese.
Spoon more sauce over mixture. Continue layering until all ingredients have
been used. Top with Mozzarella Cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 45 minutes or until bubbly hot
I always use this recipe in making lasagna. I got the recipe from a good friend, Shirley Carl when I worked with her at the Vichy Wye Cafe.

This is the first time I've added the grape jelly and I think I will always add the jelly to any tomato based sauces. It seems to take away some of the acidic taste of the tomatoes. I got this tip from my sister, Kate.

2 comments: