Thursday, June 17, 2010

Elrod Reunion:

Sunday afternoon was the annual Elrod Cousin Reunion at the city park in Belle. There was a large turnout for the reunion.
I enjoy my time with my "Elrod Family". I am closer to most of Dwayne's cousins than I am with my own. That seems strange because growing up I was surrounded by cousins on both sides of the family almost every weekend. We had great fun and adventures at my Grandma and Grandpa Feeler's. The closest cousins I have on my Mom's side are Aunt Ella Mae Allen's kids. We were together most weekends and would take turns spending a few days with each other over the summer. (I have to admit, though, I got homesick and sometimes went home before the end of the week) When they lived in St. James, we would do the chores around the house in the morning and then after lunch our day was free to go to the swimming pool in town. This was almost a two mile walk but so worth it after you got there. I am still in contact with the "Allen Cousins" but our lives seem to have taken us in different paths and towns that we don't get together much anymore. I miss that.
Now, back to my Elrod Family. They have always welcomed me with open arms and made me feel a part of the family and not just an "in-law". Never have I felt that love more than when my father-in-law passed away and the weeks leading up to his death. The aunts would call me periodically, not just to check on Grandpa Andy, but to inquire about my health and family. It meant so much to me when Grandpa died to have different ones in the family thank me for taking care of Grandpa. To me, it was not a chore as I loved my father-in-law very much and the many trips to Jefferson City to the doctor were a special time together. I miss him more than I can say.
Families: They come in all shapes and sizes. Being a blood relative doesn't make you any closer than family members acquired throughout life.
I am very grateful for my Elrod Family and the close bond we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment