Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Class of 75:

Dwayne and I hosted the 35th Class Reunion of Maries R-1 at our house on Saturday, the 12th.
For our 25th Class Reunion, we met at our house as it was a stopping off point between Vienna and Rolla. We had dinner at Zeno's in Rolla that evening. Most everyone came back to our house after the meal and had such a great time visiting they decided we would just barbecue at our house for the 30th Class Reunion.
The 30th Class Reunion was held at our house in July of 2005 and I think it must have been the hottest day of the year!! We had fans set up outside and battled the heat the best we could. This year the weather was perfect. We had a shower and high winds for about ten minutes but then it cleared up to be a wonderful evening.
One of the advantages of having an event at your house is you do jobs you've put off for quite sometime. In 2000, we put down new living room carpet and Pergo laminate flooring in the hall and kitchen/dining room. In 2005, Dwayne painted the living room and kitchen, put up new trim and installed a wooden ceiling in the hallway. (two stories high) This year we didn't do much to the house but spruced up the yard and Dwayne stained the back porch. One of the first questions asked by a classmate was what we did to the house this time. LOL I am glad everyone enjoyed their time at our house and look forward to getting together in another five years.
This is the smallest turnout we've ever had. With the reunion being held in June, some classmates had weddings to go to and Mick Byrd was singing at a winery in Holts Summit. We missed seeing everyone but enjoyed our time visiting and reminiscing about our school years. It seems we all had different memories of events and surprised that what we remembered someone else didn't. One of our classmates, Sam Reeves, remembered a song our School Superintendent (Jack Allen) used to sing about baloney and it went to the tune of Pop Goes The Weasel. I have a pretty good memory but didn't remember it at all. A few others vaguely remembered it. Sam really wanted the words to the song. I work for Jack Allen's nephews, Don and John Allen. I asked them yesterday about the song and they both started singing what they remembered of it. Don told me to call Dave Allen (Jack's son) to see if he had the words. I called and spoke with his wife, Ruth and she said they had just been looking at the song a few days ago and she would send me a copy. When I get it, I'll share the words for everyone.
We stayed up until almost 2 a.m. and I thought I would go right to sleep. Wrong!! 4 a.m. and I was still wide awake! Today, I'm tired, I guess it caught up with me.
I am grateful my classmates enjoyed coming to our house and having a good time.
















No comments:

Post a Comment