Monday, June 24, 2013

Weekend:

Friday:
This was my Friday afternoon off. April met me at John and Sheila's and we relaxed in the pool for a couple hours. My idea of a great afternoon; sun and relaxation.
When I got home Dwayne was already in the hay field. Chad came by for a visit. He had brought me some flowers he picked from his yard. Such a thoughtful and caring son.
Later Zach, Nathan and Lizzy came by. They took turns riding over to the hay field. Or I should say, Zach and Lizzy rode back and forth. Nathan did get a turn and he took me over. The field is part of my Grandpa's original farm and I hadn't been back that far in quite a few years. It has grown up alot but still holds great memories.
Tony came and picked up Nathan and Zach and Lizzy spent the night. Lizzy has now decided she wants to be Uncle Dwayne's farm helper just like Zach. (I think the allure of the four wheeler is a contributing factor)
Saturday:
Dwayne, Chad, Zach and Lizzy all went out to eat breakfast and buys TONS of gas (according to Lizzy) for the tractors and four wheeler. They helped Chad and Troy shuttle canoes and vehicles for a float trip.
In the meantime, Todd came by and spent the morning with me visiting. Always nice to have the kids drop by. Tony dropped Nathan off and he spent the day.
After staining on the front porch, I took Lizzy and Nathan to the creek swimming. The water was nice and warm but we left after awhile when the kids started getting leeches on them. I don't do leeches!! In all the years I took my kids to the creek we never saw leeches. I could see it later in the summer when the water starts drying up, but was surprised to see them this time of year.
When we got back home, Lizzy and Nathan both took turns running back and forth to the hay field. The fun times of youth.
Todd helped Dwayne with the hay and then they all came in for supper. I fixed pork roast, mashed potatoes/gravy and a big chef type salad. While eating supper my nephew calls and said they were going to cut Todd's horse and Zach's horse that evening. My dad studied to be a vet when him and Mom were first married. We were always glad he didn't finish up as we would have been broke as he never wants to charge anyone. We were surprised Dad would want to do this that late in the evening. It was already after seven and with it being so cloudy out the light was giving way to night pretty fast. I guess you have to be a guy and farm boy to get so excited over the event. Neighbors were there, several nephews, Dwayne and Dad. Lizzy and I went up to sit with Mom while Dad was gone. Mom told a few stories about her Mom I had never heard. We don't know a lot about Grandma Williams as she died when my Mom was only ten years old. Liz would have loved to be in on the action but I wouldn't let her go down there. Tony took both kids home and neither one was very happy about it. Zach came back to our house after the float trip with his dad.
Sunday:
I planned on going to church but wasn't feeling well so I stayed home.
Went to Lowe's and Wal-Mart for a much needed grocery trip, then headed to the corn field where Dwayne, Todd and Zach were working. I stopped by Mom and Dad's on the way home. Dad was still excited about being 88 years old and still cutting horses. Good to see some of his pep back.

Went home and fixed tacos and refried beans for Dwayne and Todd, followed by root beer floats. An evening of watching TV and the weekend was over already.

I am grateful for family.

No comments:

Post a Comment