Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Most Admired Person:

This post is in tribute to my childhood friend, Pat Workman.

We grew up with the Workman kids and visited with them along with their parents, Lester and Maxine quite a bit.  My Mom would pick the kids up on Sunday morning and take them to church with us.  Pat and I were saved on the same day.  Mom used to host a baseball game after church on Sundays and it was at this event we both asked Jesus into our heart.  We were baptised later at Fort Wyman Baptist Church in Rolla as our county church did not have a baptismal.  Pat would come home with me on Sunday afternoons and we spent many hours just playing in the woods and also what we thought was secretly (parents seem to know everything but let us think we're sneaking off)  jumping in a small pool of water across the road.  It would be so cold but we didn't care.  Lots of fun memories.

Pat gave up a lucritive career in accounting about four years ago to come home and take care of her Mother, Maxine Workman.  Maxine is such a dear and kind person.  We used to teach Bible School together at Broadway Baptist.  One year we had seventeen rambuctious three and four year olds.  You might not think the kids pay attention, but the one "trouble-maker" was always the first to answer a question about the Bible story.

Maxine's health has continued to decline in the past few years.  Where Pat was more of a companion at first is now a full time caregiver.  And I mean full time, twenty-four hours a day without a day off.  Pat doesn't complain but she is getting pretty tired.  I stop in to see them periodically and the last time I saw Pat she seemed totally worn out.  I stopped yesterday and Pat seemed a little more rested.  I have never heard Pat complain. She says it's an honor to take care of her Mom.  She isn't a burden to her and knows if the situation was reversed, Maxine would take care of her.  The day in-day out responsibilites are huge but Pat does it lovingly and with care.  I so admire her for the way she has put her life on hold to care for her Mother.  Maxine can no longer get around and is on a feeding tube along with other multiple health problems.  Pat can no longer lift Maxine to her chair and has to have help with getting her up for awhile during the day, putting her back to bed, getting her up for the evening and then to bed for the night.  Her brother, Rodney and brother-in-law, Todd come in to help get her up.  Without their help, I don't know how she would manage.  Pat said no matter what she has to do, Maxine will never go in a nursing home.  Some think it would be easier that way-the ones who aren't doing the day to day caregiving.  But Pat is doing it with grace and is such an example for the Bible teachings of honoring parents and caring for them when they age.

Along with taking care of her Mother, Pat found her brother dead in his bed last fall.  Randy had been living with Pat and Maxine and helping with her care.  He had a heart attack in his sleep and Pat had to deal with his death and consequently his help in caring for Maxine.  Such a burden that she accepts as life.

I am grateful to know Maxine and Pat and admire their grace and dignity.

(Pat says it's an honor to care for her Mother.  Wonder how many people would look at that way.)

1 comment:

  1. Connie,

    I seldom ever read anything posted on Facebook anymore as my time is often limited. I have no idea why I did today but am very glad I did. To say that I was flummoxed by this posting is probably an understatement. To say that I really needed to read this at this particular time is more of one. There are two points that I need to make now. First, you give me entirely too much credit. Second, I sometimes feel as if I do nothing but complain! Just today, for multiple reasons and probably seriously for the first time, I was thinking of bowing to what everyone else evidently considers to be the inevitable and giving up. Thanks for your words of support as they definitely make me feel at least a little stronger.

    ReplyDelete