Monday, March 18, 2013

Mom:


Last Wednesday evening, I took Mom to visit a friend of hers whose husband passed away in January.  We had a nice visit.  Mom and Imogene reminenced about their life as friends and neighbors.  As we were leaving Mom stepped down off the sidewalk and her leg buckled under. Imogene and I tried to help her get up but couldn't manage it. Imogene went to get help but as it's senior apartments no one was able to help so we had to call an ambulance.  It was very cold and damp out with the wind coming up.  The concrete was very cold.  Imogene brought out about four quilts to cover Mom up with but we were freezing sitting on the damp cold concrete.
I was a little aggravated with the ambulance personnel as they helped Mom to a sitting position and then tried to pull her up.  Her ankle was already swollen, therefore, she couldn't put any weight on it.  I was afraid that little bit of pressure from them trying to pull her up would damage the ankle further.  I thought they would bring a body board over to where Mom was laying on the concrete.  They didn't check to see if she could have broken a hip or worse.   After they couldn't get Mom to stand up they picked her up from the shoulders and legs and carried her to the gurney. The gurney wasn't even pulled up close to Mom nor did they move it any closer for when they picked her up.  There was a third EMT present who could have moved it. 
I called Judy and she came up to the hospital and brought Mom's medical records.  The wait is always long when you go to the ER and tonight was no exception.  The x-ray showed a fractured ankle in two places.  We had a wonderful nurse who put the splint on Mom's ankle and helped us out to the car.  We got to the hospital at 8:30 p.m. and left at 1 a.m.
Trying to get Mom in the house was quite a job.  We got her in the wheelchair but getting her across the uneven ground and the wheelchair backwards up the steps took all three of us. (Judy, Dad and I)
After getting Mom settled in bed, we left her in the capable hands of Dad.
Judy took Mom to the doctor Friday and he said if she stays off the ankle for three weeks it should heal okay.  It's taken Mom a year to get over her fall last year and weeks of bed rest which contributed to her heart filling up with fluid and we almost lost her in July.  Hopefully, this setback will turn out better.

I am grateful for Mom only breaking her ankle and nothing more.

(I am one that always thinks, what if, should have, etc.  I told Mom I wished I hadn't taken her to see Imogene.  She said, that's silly, we had a good visit and I could have fallen anywhere.  These things just happen, Connie and you can't beat yourself up over it.  My Mom, words of wisdom all throughout my years)

No comments:

Post a Comment