Thursday, October 23, 2014

Late Posting of Weekend Update:

Friday:
Picked Nate and Liz up after school.  We stopped by Mom and Dad's to figure out what all we needed to buy for molasses weekend.  We made a mad dash to Wal-Mart's to guy groceries, lots of soda and A LOT of jars.  I can't even remember what we ate for supper. Oh, now I remember!!  Chocolate chip waffles and sausage. The guys were all there getting ready for molasses the next day.

Saturday:
We were watching Cash for the weekend.  Dwayne picked him up in Vienna when he went to the bank.  April had already fed him but he was already starving to death.  He's a bottomless pit.  He eats all the time but he's still a small guy.  Don't know where he puts it all.
Eating a waffle
I loved him reaching for me as soon as he got there.  Liz and Nathan came over mid-morning.  While I was busy fixing my dish to take to the Feeler Reunion, Liz and Cash watched Mickey Mouse.  
  We were just about to Rolla when my Aunt Fern called and told me to meet Mom at the ER.  She had fallen and hit the back of her head on the concrete floor.  I didn't want Cash exposed to the hospital germs so I called Dwayne to come pick him up.  You should have heard him squealing as soon as he saw Grandpa!!  Cash and Lizzy went with Dwayne back to Mom and Dad's.
Mom arrived by ambulance and was taken back for a Cat Scan.  She had a concussion but fortunately no brain bleed.  Dad had drove over but after we found out Mom was okay she insisted he go back to the reunion and visit with his family.  Spent the afternoon with Mom until Dad came back.
Todd and Cash
When I got to Mom's, Cash was happily playing in the dirt.  He had all the guys eating out of his hands!!  It had started to warm up so I took his jacket off and put his boots on.  Little did I know, Grandpa would let him walk through the mud hole.  He loved it!  Had to go through a few times.
Looks like fun.....
Plunging right in!!
Playing with Uncle Chad, still eyeing the mud hole.
 
Mom and Dad came home from the hospital.  She looked pretty good but had a huge knot on the back of her head.
Grandpa Great and Cash
 Went home and had a great time playing with Cash.  And feeding him....... That boy sure loves to eat.
As much as he loves his Grandpa, he wants Grandma when he's tired and as hard as Grandpa tries, he turns his head away and buries it on my shoulders.  Love that!!
I had always said the grandkids would sleep upstairs in the baby bed.  BUT, I was too tired to go put a clean sheet on the crib so sleeping with us seemed to go over well.  lol  He usually sleeps all night but around five he woke up and didn't know where he was.  We got some rocking time in, lots of snuggles, which is so much easier now that he doesn't have to wear his helmet.
Sunday:
Fed Cash two containers of baby food and then he started in on my Life cereal.  He loved it, I couldn't feed him fast enough.
We had run out of jars the day before so we had to make another trip to Rolla to buy more jars.  Wal-Mart was about out on Friday so we went to two other stores first and they were out.  Now what to do!!  Went to Wal-Mart, left Lizzy and Cash in the car, almost ran to where the jars were and they had restocked and had a lot of jars!!!!  Saved the day!
Then to Lee's chicken to pick up food for the guy's dinner.  My cousin's wife, Leann cooked my vegetables for me while I was gone and had everything set up and ready for when I got back.  Thank you, Leann!!
April came and couldn't wait to see Cash.  Dwayne said he wouldn't go to her as he was having too much fun.  She took it well knowing he was having a good time.
Dwayne and Phil feeding the press.
Andy, Dad, Dean, Tim and Todd
I'm sure Dad is telling a story.....
The kids having fun skimming the molasses.
 
We had about six little boys there both days.  They had so much fun just playing in the woods and (to most people's horror) playing with stick guns and wooden knives Todd would carve for them.  No ipads, no phone or any technology and these boys had the best time just being kids.
It was another wonderful year of molasses making and visiting with family and friends.
 
I am grateful for these precious memories. 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Connie, that's so neat that your folks still want to do the "molasses thing!" What great memories all of you have of those days and will treasure them forever -- plus I can just taste homemade molasses with hot buttered buttermilk biscuits as I write. Nothing better!
    I enjoy seeing and hearing about all your goings on and admire your mom and dad for just going and doing even though health is not the best. Happy fall! K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. This "journal" helps me keep memories alive.
    I so cherish these days with Mom and Dad. Dad will be 90 next week.
    And of course we are enjoying that grandson!! So precious.

    ReplyDelete