Monday, June 2, 2014

Friends Day Out:

Friday, the 23rd I got to have lunch with two of my co-workers from years ago at Head Start.
Barb aka Barbara Darleen when she's misbehaving lives in Cuba and doesn't drive anymore.
I went and picked Barb up and then we went to Rolla to surprise another co-worker, Anita at her Salon.  And surprise her we did!  She just kept repeating, "I just can't believe it".  All three of us had lunch at the Benton Square.  It's an old school that has now become a restaurant, salon and flower shop.  The décor is really nice.
After lunch, Barb and I went shopping and then back to Cuba.  We had the best time laughing and remembering our working days together.  Barb is pretty tall and I'm not quite 5'.  When they first transferred Barb to Rolla I was scared to death.  And her words to them were, "I'm not working with that little piss aunt".  It's a wonder we became such good friends, but we had such a good time everyday.  Barb told me I needed to start speaking up for myself.  I would always let people walk all over me.  Barb made me mad one day and I spoke up.  Thought I'd better say something so she wouldn't walk over me.  She just laughed and said, "Connie Rebecca, when I taught you to speak up for yourself, I wasn't meaning to me!"  So it became a running joke that if Barb was being too rude or outrageous (as only Barb can do....), I would just say, "Barbara Darleen" and then we'd both crack up laughing.  I guess you just had to be there.
When we would go overnight meetings she acted like I couldn't take care of myself.  We roomed with another co-work from St. James who is also tall.  I felt like a little kid when I walked with them.  If I got just a few feet away, Barb would yell at me and said she just couldn't take me anywhere.  Her, Jan and I had such good trips; so much fun!!

I am grateful for my friendship with Barb and Anita.  Even if we haven't seen each other in years, we just pick up right where we left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment