Monday, April 29, 2013

Birthday Card:


 

Dad always draws a picture on the birthday cards.  Usually a horse, sometimes a squirrel up in a tree, a dog barking up the tree and various other animals.  This year he drew one for me that means alot to me.  Growing up, I was always climbing trees; the higher the better.
We had one tree right in front of the house I would climb and hang by my knees.  I did this every day for quite some time.  We also had another tree out by the driveway I could climb and see up to the gravel road we took to church.  Our preacher was from St. Louis and would come out for the morning and evening services.  The families took turns hosting him for the day with a delicious Sunday dinner.  I would climb the tree as soon as we got home and watch for when he was coming down the gravel road to report to Mom it wouldn't be much longer until the preacher got there.
My Mom fixed the best Sunday dinners.  Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, slaw, homemade biscuits, various pies and homemade lemonade!!  Makes me hungry thinking about it.  Wish I could cook like that and especially after coming home from church.
Memories and a great reflection into the past and this year's card did just that.

I am so grateful for my childhood and the wonderful memories made.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment