Monday, October 16, 2017

Molasses Weekend:

Friday: 
Trip to Sput's for supper before starting our busy weekend.  I was disappointed as I had read a post that Sput was having pork chops as a special.  To my dismay, that must have been for a different day.
Saturday:
Molasses Day starts out early.  There's all the prep work, grinding of the juice, mudding the fire brick that holds the big pan we cook molasses in.  My Dad started this tradition in 1978 and we've continued since that time.  I can't remember how many years ago it was, but Dad turned the operation over to Dwayne and the boys.  I can't even begin to express our gratitude for our Elrod nephews for helping us and feeling the same since of tradition.  Not many in my family has felt the calling for the tradition.  They are there and help wherever needed, but their heart is not truly in it.  It's a big job and takes several to get it done.  My phone messed up and I didn't get any pictures this year.  I like to get some of them grinding the juice and the cooking process.  I did borrow some of Shelley Allen's pictures.
Our "little" Blake pouring cane juice.  He's grown up so much.
Nathan and cash trying to grind juice by hand pushing.  (Hard work, as we use a horse for the press)
The molasses were true to their name, slow!  We had a lot of juice and used the big pan to cook in rather than the evaporator this year.  Took until almost eleven at night to get the batch cooked.  Our friend, Kenny Allen helped all day.  Kudos to Kenny.  We appreciate all our friends and family for their work.
Around seven, we went on our annual hay ride and wiener roast.  We had more than usual for the ride this year.  Cash stayed in the truck and helped Grandpa drive.  He did ride on the back with Grandma for a short distance but preferred driving with Grandpa.  Cash was getting tired and wanted to go home.  I did too.  We were burning a brush pile on our other land for the wiener roast and I could look across the fence and almost see our house.  I thought about walking, but considered otherwise with tall the thorn bushes and climbing the fence with Cash.  Luckily, Dustin was there with his truck and drove us home.  We were both asleep in the living room when Dwayne got home.
Sunday:
Today was the day Cash had been waiting for, his birthday party.  My friend from High School, Kathy Schulte Kleffner makes cakes and she made one for Cash's birthday.  We went to St. James to pick it up and then on over to April and Mike's for the party.  Unfortunately, Cash got car sick on the way.  Poor little guy, him and Iva both get car sick easily.
The party (and food!) turned out really good.
                                                                     Cousin Love
Elaina, Josey, Iva and Cash

Two weeks apart in age.
I have some really good pictures of Cash and his cake but my computer is not cooperating with me today to upload them.
 
After we got home, it was time for cleanup from the day before.  (I got out of it!  lol)
Todd and Michelle came down afterward and we had a good visit.
This was a great weekend, but I sure did miss my Mom.  She loved this time of year.
 
I am grateful for our family to carry on this tradition of making molasses and for all the help from family and friends.  It's just a time of good old fashioned fun and you can't forget all the good food.   I'm also grateful for this sweet little grandson, Cash and his big four year old birthday.

1 comment:

  1. It is so neat that you all are carrying on this tradition!

    ReplyDelete