Wednesday, December 3, 2014

My first sister-in-law:

Pat and myself-years ago.......
 
Pat is my brother, Wayne's first wife.  I was only ten when they got married and I idolized Pat.  Pat and Wayne had just met each other in December and got married I think January 1st of the next year.  Then Wayne was shipped overseas to Vietnam.
Pat would come out to the house often and most times I would go home with her for the weekend.  I have such fond memories of those times.  Pat and her cousin, Patty Mae would let me tag along with them on outings.  I loved Patty Mae and in my ten year old mind, I was going to name a little girl Patty Mae one day.
Pat's Mom, Gladys was such a likeable person.  She worked as a cook at UMR and then would come home and cook up a HUGE meal for whoever happened to be at their house.  They were a big family so there was always visitors.  We used to visit on weekends sometimes and the house would be full with Pat's sisters, Joyce and Judy's families.  They both lived in St. Louis and came home for the weekend.  Now I can see all the work Gladys did with cooking so much.  I don't think I have the stamina for all that.
Our first meal at their house, we ate in the dining room with the table set all formal.  I loved it!!  I hadn't been to a house with a dining room and it made quite an impact.  Their house was a huge rock house built by slaves in the 1800's.  The rooms were huge and truly was in the plantation style.
Now, back to Pat.  She has the same big heart as her Momma.  Her house is always open to any family member and she cooks for all of them, too.  The thing about Pat is she can't use her right arm.  She had polio as a baby and it affected her right side.  The arm and leg on the right weren't quite as large as the left side.  She never let it affect her.  She could empty gravy out of a heavy iron skillet easier than I can with two hands.  Gladys said after Pat had polio she made up her mind that Pat would have to become independent and I guess as we would say today, tough love.  Her family would get mad at Gladys as she wouldn't pick Pat up every time she wanted.  She said, no, Pat needs to learn to walk and do things on her own.  I don't think Pat would be where she was today if not for the love and guidance of her Mom.  People that don't know Pat had Polio wouldn't really notice.  But as Pat has gotten older, she limps more and I really think her arm bothers her but she would never let on.
Wayne and Pat divorced in the late seventies.  I was crushed!!  Pat and I (and Wayne) have always remained good friends.  Pat's son, Tim calls me Mom and Mom and Dad have always treated Tim as their grandchild.  They are Grandma and Grandpa to Tim.  Actually, Tim went to see Mom more in the hospital than my own sons did.
Wayne married my present sister-in-law, Bobbie in 2003.  As you all know, my brother, Wayne passed away in July due to a drowning.  Bobbie has diabetes really bad and cannot drive.  She stayed a couple months with my sister, Katie and they rode to work together.  Bobbie is getting a trailer but it's not available until April.  (Their house was very primitive and no running water).  Bobbie then went to live with guess who?  Wayne's first wife, Pat!!  Now that proves what a big heart Pat has.
I love my sister-in-law, Bobbie.  She says I'm her sister from another Mother.  We have a great relationship.  I think my first sister-in-law was like a first love.  Special and always holds a part of your heart.  It didn't hurt that she spoiled me, too!!  lol

I am so grateful for both of Wayne's wives and the joy they've brought to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment