Friday, September 28, 2012

Remember the Fall of the Spring of 2011?


Who knew stepping off unknowingly into an open stairwell could have so many lingering effects.
I still suffer from headaches, neck pain, and periods of dizziness. Thankfully the back pain is gone.
For the past several months, my right arm has been hurting alot, weak and some numbness.  I had an x-ray last Spring and it showed calcified tendons and the doctor wanted to follow up with an MRI.  My health insurance had other ideas.  I tried my own version of physical therapy.  The doctor asked how I was doing.  I told her fine, I would use my left arm to help the right arm lift the weight.  For some reason, she didn't think that was a good idea..... Oh, well, it worked!
After three cortisone injections over the past three months, the insurance agreed to the MRI.  I was surprised to find I had torn my right bicep muscle.  They asked me before the MRI if I had been in an accident or done something to cause a jerk to the arm.  Nope, couldn't think of anything.
During the MRI, I thought, well, I did fall down the steps but that was over a year ago.  Could that be it?  Well, maybe, as I remember having my phone and a heavy glass of water in my arm and consequently hitting myself very hard in the forehead with the end of the glass.  I mentioned it after the MRI and the tech said the injury could be that old.
The repercussions of that fall results in surgery on Monday, October 1st for the torn bicep muscle and partial tear to the rotator cuff.  I am not looking forward to this at all.  Why couldn't I hurt my left arm?  We don't realize how much we use a part of our body until it's injured.  I almost decided to postpone the surgery as I can use the arm okay, just not up to the way it should be and sometimes it hurts more than other times.  Dwayne said, no you need to get it done and over with.  So, I guess I will be an absent blogger for at least two weeks, maybe sooner.  I am going to try to come back to work for a few hours a day the second week of October but I'm not sure yet what to expect.

I am thankful I didn't get hurt any worse during my fall and would certainly appreciate your thoughts and prayers the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment