Friday, August 22, 2014

The Day of the Funeral:

Our last family picture.  We are now minus one.
 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
 
We woke up to a beautiful day.  There wasn't any clouds in the sky.  April called to say God had a blank canvas for Wayne.  That was to change that evening.
Wayne's funeral was attended by many.  There was standing room only.  It was a time for celebration of Wayne's life and the speaker, Ron Smith did a  wonderful eulogy for Wayne.  He even made us laugh a couple times.  Wayne was an artist and led an eccentric life style all his own. We celebrated the independence Wayne shown and how he became a well known artist in the art community.  Several business around town had his paintings hung up.
Having to leave was hard and the pallbearers seemed to be having a hard time emotionally but remained stoic.
The Patriot Guard was there to lead us to the cemetery.  Such an honor and quite the tribute to Wayne.  We solemnly followed the hearse out of town to Mom and Dad's house.  There, they transferred Wayne's body in a flag draped coffin onto a wooden wagon led by a team of mules.  Our friend, Pat Ragan drove the team.  The mourners went on to the cemetery and solemnly stood with the Patriot Guard as the procession arrived.  It was very moving, especially with the pallbearers following in two straight lines behind the wagon.  Behind them was my nephew, Wayne, Jr. riding a horse and leading Wayne's horse with his boots hanging backwards from the stirrups.  His daughter, Tess also rode a horse.  There was hardly a dry eye.  The scene was very much a tribute to Wayne and he would have loved it.
We had so much help from family, friends and neighbors.  Our neighbor, Shawn Breeding had dug the grave at no charge. Others stayed around to fill in and clean up.
The sermon at the cemetery was very sad and our last closing of Wayne's life.  It was so moving to hear the gun salute and then each Patriot Guard coming up and saluting Wayne's coffin.  Much thanks go out to them.
We then went to Mom and Dad's for dinner.  My good friends, Susan, Peggy, Patti and Reenie had set up the tables and all the food and drinks. (and cleaned up everything).  So grateful to them.  My church supplied most of the funeral meal.
Mom in the hospital before she got really bad sick.
The afternoon of the funeral dinner as we were eating, we got a call to get to the hospital as fast as we could. Our Mom lay at death's door. It was a very hard time on all of us. Mom didn't want to be put on life support but after my sister, Kate explained to her that it would take over the breathing for her and to ...just let her body rest, she said okay.
I had just went downstairs for a few minutes and a lady in the elevator said I looked like I needed a prayer. (I wasn't crying or anything) She stopped the elevator and said a prayer for me. She then said she needed to go and pray with my Mom as she had a heavy heart telling her to do this. She went to the room and said the most heartfelt prayer I've ever heard. She prayed for Mom to be at peace and for God to ease her breathing. She said other things that were very meaningful for each one of us.
Then they came to take Mom back to ICU. I want you to know that by the time they got Mom settled and ready for us to go see her, she was breathing on her own; they did not have to put her on the ventilator. Mom even looked like herself as she looked at death's door in the other room.
Praise God! I have heard of these powerful message from God but had never witnessed it before. It was very meaningful.
I thank each one of you for your thoughts and prayers. They are much appreciated. (Mom is doing much better but still has a long road ahead of her)

Mom has been in the hospital since then with another bout of pneumonia. I would appreciate prayers for her and my Dad who is taking excellent care of her.
Dwayne and I went back to the hospital that evening.  There were several of the family there.  I like to stay with Mom until she falls asleep for the night.  As I was sitting there, my great-niece, Kara came in.  She is such a beautiful young lady, inside and out.  April babysat her and her sister, Tess a lot when they were younger.  They hold such a dear place in our hearts.  It was such a pleasure to visit with Kara and get to know what all is going on in her life.  She has a two year old little boy, Parker and is expecting a little girl in October.  I'm very proud of Kara Leigh.
Momma seemed to be resting better and we called it a night.  What a long and exhausting day we had.
My friend, Brenda Tyree sent me a picture of a beautiful sunset from the evening.  We all like to think it was Wayne's painting to the blank canvas in the sky April had talked about that morning.


Although, I am very sad about my brother's death, I am grateful for the outpouring of love from everyone who came out and helped in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment