Friday, January 25, 2013

Bedroom Makeover:

Out with the blue...............


In with the yellow!!!!








You know how when you redo one room and the then room attached to it just looks shabby?!?
Well, that was the way it was with the bathroom makeover.  The bedroom connects to it by a short hallway without a door.  I asked Dwayne if we could paint the bedroom too.  He agreed to it.  I went with a lighter shade of the bathroom color.  Our blue carpet had seen better days but it had held up well for twenty-four years.  I thought I was really pushing my luck when I asked Dwayne about new carpet.  He was like, well with the new bathroom floor the blue doesn't match very well and it looks dirty all the time.  Huh?  My husband?!  The one that thinks a house doesn't need updating any.  (which by the way, he has done several rooms for me throughout the years, but not without a bit of complaining)
I took a sample of our bathroom flooring to Vernon's Carpet in Rolla and matched the carpet color up to it.
I love it!!  The carpet sample was only a 3x3 inch swatch, so I wasn't too sure of whole room in that shade of yellow.  It's kind of hard to visualize from a small sample, but all turned out well.
As much as I like to redecorate and change the furniture arrangements in rooms, overall, I do not like change.  So the wall color that I had worked so hard on years ago was a little nostalgic for me to let go of.
It had been just plain blue walls, then I added the flower border a few years later.  Then I did a light feather treatment of white and various blue shades over the blue walls.  Most people thought it was wallpaper.
When I first heard of the technique, I envisioned painting with a feather and it taking hours.  My friend, Jan laughed at me.  She said, "Connie, you use a feather duster"!!  Oh, that does sound easier.  It was a bit tricky with trying to get just the right amount of the various colors on the wall.  Jan had only used one color so hers went much faster.
I had bought April some blue velvet throw pillows in Eureka Springs, AR years ago when she had blue in her room.  Unlike her Mom, when April changes things, she gets rids of them.  (I have various colors of throw pillows, etc. in a closet upstairs as I can't seem to let go of them, yeah I have that problem with "letting go" with my kids, too.  lol)  I asked for the cushions and then I found these golden color ones to bring in more of the yellow tones.  I carried around my paint swatches for almost a year before I ever found a shade to match.  They are a closer color to the bathroom walls but they still blend nicely.  Then I found the round place mat and that worked perfect for the pitcher and bowl Dodie made for me when we built the house.
I love how bright and "new" the bedroom looks.  I had to find a color to match with the blue as our furniture has the blue roses and we won't ever be replacing the furniture.  (I had thought about it years ago, checked prices and thought, uh, no way!! Plus, Dwayne would never go for new bedroom furniture).

I am grateful for my home and my husband who built it and helps me redecorate periodically.

2 comments:

  1. I love the furniture, I had a set years ago and would love to find it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked
    hard on. Any tips?

    my blog post healthy juicing Recipes

    ReplyDelete