Friday, January 18, 2013

Bathroom Makeover:




Last winter we did an update on our bathroom.   I was surprised Dwayne agreed to do it.  He usually says, we built one house and it is just fine the way it is.  I tell him houses get dated and you have to periodically redecorate to keep up with the times.
Actually, I was originally his idea on the bathroom to install a new counter top.  We had a very nice oak counter top and it looks good-27 years ago.......  I really liked it but we needed an update and after Dwayne installed a new vanity top for April and Mike the year before, he liked it so well he wanted one like it.
But he forgot or didn't realize you can't just do a counter top and not update everything else!!
We had blue in our bathroom, blue sink, blue wallpaper, blue toilet and tub.  We did get rid of the blue carpet about ten years ago but blue was just getting old to look at.  Therefore, with a new counter top, we needed a new stool to go with it and a tub.  Tubs are expensive and we would have had to take down the door and possible some studs and sheet rock to get a new tub into the room.  I'm not too picky on a tub, we only use the shower anyway.  It's nice to have a tub for bathing kids when they visit and HOPEFULLY one day soon in the future, possibly a grand baby.  (hint, hint kids!!)  lol  Since it didn't matter to much to us one way or the other on a new tub, we just bought the tub and tile paint and Dwayne painted it.  It looks okay if you don't look too close.  Plus, we have a shower curtain that covers most of it.
The paint color was so easy to chose.  We painted April's spare bedroom the year before with this beautiful yellow that isn't too lemony of a color or sunshiny.  I love it.
I lightly sanded the finish of the cabinets and light fixture and stained them a little darker.  You can't do all this and not install new light fixtures.  lol  I found a combination light fixture/exhaust fan in an amber color to match the other light fixtures.  The fixture over the sink I bought at Lowe's on clearance for $15.00.  Everything matches so well and wasn't all bought at the same time.
It's funny how deep cleaning a room and repainting to update makes the room so different and gives you a whole new outlook on how it looks.

I am grateful for my home and also that Dwayne "humors" me every once in awhile on updating.

No comments:

Post a Comment