Friday, October 30, 2009

Grandma Dodie:


This picture is the last one I have of me and my mother-in-law, also the last time I saw her.(except for in the hospital) I can't remember if the date was October 16th or 18th. Broadway Baptist Church was having a dinner and I went with Dodie. We had a good time visiting. Dodie walked me out to my car and said good-bye. I remember looking in my rear view mirror and Dodie just standing there on the parking lot watching me leave. That memory is still vivid in my mind.
My sister, Judy and I left the next day to take our parents on a trip to CA and OR to visit relatives. I called and talked to Dodie on Wednesday before her surgery. She sounded so good. She had surgery the next day for an abdominal aneurysm. The initial surgery went okay but later she started hemorrhaging and they had to take her back in Friday for a second surgery. Her health declined rapidly after that. Saturday night we were around Oklahoma City when I called Dwayne on our way home. I asked about Dodie and he said she was not doing well at all and they weren't sure she would make it. It was very devastating as I wasn't expecting that at all. I didn't call home on Friday so I did not know she had to have surgery again. Mom, Dad and Judy prayed with me while I was on the phone with Dwayne. At that point, I just wanted to be home. The weather was so horrible and the fog so thick you could hardly see to drive. We had planned to spend the night in Oklahoma but I needed to get home; I felt desperate to be home with Dwayne and the kids. I don't know how we did it as Judy and I were both so exhausted as we had been driving all day from Arizona. The drive was difficult on all of us. We were so worried about Dodie, tired from traveling, treacherous roads. It seemed to take forever. The fog finally lifted when we got to Joplin. We made it home around 3 a.m. Sunday morning. I got a little bit of sleep and then Grandpa Andy, Dwayne and I went to Columbia to see Dodie. She was still conscience but couldn't speak. I went over and held her hand and she clasped it tightly. You could tell she was glad I was back to see her. Todd and April had went up with Dwayne on Saturday. Chad came while we were there. Grandma just kept smiling at him and holding his hand. This was the last day we saw Grandma conscience. Her kidneys were shutting down and the next day they had to put her on life support. The next six weeks were hard on all of the family. I loved my mother-in-law very much and I was so glad I was able to get back and see her before she slipped into a coma. I cherish the dinner before I left, the last phone call and being able to tell her in person one more time that I loved her.
Family: There is nothing more precious than time with our family and the love of God for all of us.

3 comments:

  1. She was a very nice person. I remember going to their house when I was little with my grandma. Seems like we went once or twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember visiting with your grandma at Dodie's. Didn't you break your arm playing on the foot stool? All of the kids loved to play on that "toadstool".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope that wasn't me, but I do remember someone doing that though. I had forgot about the "toadstool"

    ReplyDelete