Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Five Generations:


My sister, Judy celebrated her birthday February 1st and her great-grandson, Jay celebrated his 2nd birthday the next day. Missed his great-grandma's birthday by one day!! Would have been neat if it had been the same day.
Judy has always had a gooseberry cake on her birthday. Her middle name is the same as our Grandma Williams middle name, Ellen. We never knew our Grandma Williams as she passed away when our Mom was only ten years old. Gooseberry cake was one of Grandma's favorites and has been passed down to Judy. Mom makes an old fashioned yellow cake and then puts gooseberry pie filling (homemade) in the middle. This is followed by seven minute icing. We have always referred to this cake as Judy's cake.
In January of 1997, Mom had major by-pass surgery. Dad started helping out around the house and doing things we had never seen him do before.
Judy lived in Ellington at the time and Mom and Dad were going to drive down for her birthday. I stopped by on my way to work that morning and Dad was proudly standing at the stove make the seven minute icing (and stirring with his finger occassinally to see if it was the right texture). I took a picture of him and he was beaming from ear to ear. I wish I had that picture with me to post, it was monumental!! I always joke that Dad didn't even know how to get his own glass of water until after I left home. From that time on, Dad has made Judy's birthday cake each year.
We had a good afternoon the 5th of February enjoying cake and ice cream for Judy's birthday.

I am grateful for these times celebrating with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment