Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Grateful for my job:

Yes, I am very grateful for the job I have. I couldn't ask for better bosses and working environment. I am very blessed by this job.

It was a hard decision to make from working with my classmate, Donnie Stratman at Stratman Trucking for a little over eight years. Not only was Donnie my boss but also a great friend. Donnie and his wife, Robin, were there for support and encouragement when my Mother-in-Law, Doris Elrod passed away (on life support for six weeks) and then in 2007 when my Father-in-Law, Andy Elrod died. Also allowing me the time off to take Grandpa Andy to numerous doctor's appointmens when he was diagonosed with Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma and then the horrible few weeks after his stroke. Donnie and Robin allowed me the time to grieve at work if needed and offered much encouragement and support. They have also been very supportive of any family obligations I had. I was worried when I switched jobs if I would have the freedom to take time off for family situations.

I feel that God had a big part of the new job position. To be honest, on the day Don Allen talked to me on the phone offering me employment, I hesitated. I did not want to hurt Donnie's feelings but I also had been feeling a little restless at work as the trucking industry had slowed down alot and I didn't have enough to keep me busy all day. When I left work that day, I was so tired and thought I'll just go on home, I can talk to them some other day. But I had said I would stop and I try to keep my word. I stopped in and Don and John briefed me on what the job would entail. Don knew of my medical history of having Lupus and occasionally needing time off to just rest. Don brought up the fact of my illness and said they understood if I had to take time off periodically. (Fortunately that hasn't happened often). I went home and talked to Dwayne about it. He is always supportive of any decision I make. I then talked to my Mom and she said to pray about it and that would help me make the decision. I told her I had been praying for an opportunity to make more money, even trying to setup my own part-time business. As soon as I said that, I had this overwhelming feeling that I had my answer. The job offered me many possibilities and a great pay increase. An answer to prayer. And I could not be happier. I have known the Allen Family my whole life and we are distantly related. I now have a whole new "work family" and just like any relationship there are changes. At first I felt like I was betraying Donnie and Robin for enjoying my new job so much. I felt guilty. I guess that is the way of any relationship of change be it divorce, moving, death or any new situation. But just like with extended families, you can have more than one "work family", it just enriches your life with so many loving people.

Life at the age of 52 is great. I love my family, job and life in general. Like everyone else, I wish the time would slow down. I have found that at this point in my life, I can relax and not stress over every little incident. Some wisdom of old age. LOL

Once again, I am very grateful for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment