Monday, July 15, 2013

Busy Weekend:

Friday:
Todd came by to visit after work.   After he left, Dwayne and I went to AppleBees for supper/dinner.
Followed by a fun trip to Wal-Mart to buy groceries.  The kids (Zach, Lizzy, Nathan and Gunner) called to see if they could come over.  Troy's son, Gunner was down visiting.  Told them sure.  They were waiting in the driveway when we got home.  lol  It was 9:15.  The kids helped carry in groceries and put them away.  We played Skip-Bo and Gunner caught on real fast.  He tried throwing a little fit when things didn't go his way in the game but Aunt Connie doesn't put up with that.  Told the kids to just ignore him, they thought I should let him just play the card he wanted.  I didn't let my kids do that and I wasn't going to let him.  You play by the rules or you just don't play.  A little later Lizzy blocked me and I pretended to throw a fit similar to Gunner's.  He just looked at me and then started laughing.  He didn't try it anymore after that.  The kids stayed until after 11.
Saturday:
Had a pretty relaxing morning spent on the porch reading.  It was so nice and cool out.  I then got busy making potato salad, baked beans, salad and a cake for Blake's birthday.  I even made radish roses like my home-ec teacher taught us in high school.
April and Mike had kept Nathan and Blake on Friday night and were bringing them over to our house for the night.  Todd came by for the barbecue but Chad was riding horses so didn't make it this time.
Blake with his cake
The picture is a little dark, but it's Zach, Todd, Mike, April & Dwayne
Nathan Allen, Nathan Rowe and Blake Allen
My radish roses
Deviled eggs in Todd's antique dish from Grandma Dodie
 
We enjoyed a good meal and a time of visiting.  After April and Mike left, we headed to the field for a bon fire and making smores.  Todd and Zach left to start the fire while I gathered up the stuff to take along.  We picked up Lizzy and Gunner on the way.
While waiting for the fire to die down, the kids played hide and seek in the field.  I was surprised that when they laid down in the grass you couldn't find them.  They had a lot of fun but I'm sure they were itching after playing in the ragweed and climbing trees.  At least they burnt off a lot of energy.
We made smores and sat around for awhile.  It's nice out in an open field looking up at the sky.  We have so many trees around our house you only get glimpses of the sky at night.
We dropped the kids off at Grandma Judy's on the way home.  I rode in the back of the truck with Nathan and Blake.  Brings back a lot of childhood memories of riding in the back of the truck.
Nathan and Blake played for awhile after we got home and then it was time for bed.  Nathan cried a little bit for his Mommy but Blake said, "Come here buddy, I'll take care of you".  That worked just fine and they were soon asleep along with Dwayne "camping out" in the floor with them
Sunday:
Kenny came early to get the kids so I could get ready to go to church.  We had a good lesson in Sunday School and also a very good message during church service.
Dwayne was in the hay field so I took a short nap when I got home.  I then spent the rest of the afternoon reading on the front porch in the porch swing.  What a pleasant afternoon.
I went to the field to check on Dwayne, visited with Todd a bit and then headed to Mom and Dad's for a visit.  They are both doing good right now.  Also, had a nice visit with my sister-in-law, Bobbi.
It was almost dark before Dwayne got in from the field.  We had leftovers from Saturday's barbecue for supper and watched TV.
An overall great weekend.
 
I am grateful for time spent with family and friends and a good church family to worship with.
 
On a sad note, I found out this morning a good family friend of ours passed away over the weekend.  Jim Matlock has helped with molasses at Mom and Dad's and at the Old Iron Works  every year.  He is just part of the family.  He always called himself my brother.  He came to visit last month and was so excited about April having a baby.  He said since him and Teresa didn't have any grandkids, this baby could also claim them as grandparents.  Grandpa Jim.  lol  We are certainly going to miss Jim.


No comments:

Post a Comment