Friday, December 17, 2010

Emotions:

Yesterday, a friend of ours Dad had a major stroke. I feel so bad for the family as they are going through this. It is devastating to see your loved one in that state.
Last night, I was reading the paper and there was an article and picture of the Christmas Party at the Maries Manor. Without realizing it, I started to cry. We went to the Christmas Party at Maries Manor with Grandpa Andy the night before he had his second (and major) stroke. I miss Grandpa Andy so much; he and I had become very close after Grandma Dodie passed away. I cherish my time with him and all of the precious memories. Time may lessen the loss but you never stop missing them.
Dwayne, Grandpa Andy, David, October 2006 at Iron Works, Meramac Springs:
I am grateful for the loving relationship I had with both my Mother-In-Law, Dodie and my Father-In-Law, Andy. There are a lot of in-law jokes and I don't think they're fair. Your "in-laws" are your spouse's parents and need to be treated with respect. (I know it goes both ways, I was lucky that was true, I'm sure some don't have that relationship)

My Mother-In-Law, Dodie passed away seven years ago on December 14, 2003.
She had been on life support for six weeks. It was a very emotional experience for our family. On one hand, you are hoping and praying she comes out of the coma, on the other hand, she is not really there and it is so hard to see her like that. We continued to hold her hand, talk to her, etc. We would watch for any movement of her eyes, a gentle pressure from holding her hand, anything at all. This was my first experience losing a parent.
I was so proud of all of the grandchildren at her funeral and visitation. We never spoke to the kids (Chad, Todd, Dustin, April, Andy and Cody) about standing in the receiving line at the funeral home. Each one stood and greeted everyone that came through and stayed there at the receiving line the whole time. Dodie would have been so proud of them. At the time, it was sad losing Dodie so close to Christmas. But then, it was fitting. Dodie loved Christmas and all of the decorations. David Martin does a wonderful job decorating for the holidays and I know she would have enjoyed the festivity. So our final farewell was during Dodie's favorite time of the year. We used her Christmas ornaments this year on our tree. Merry Christmas, Grandma.
Doris Jean (Dodie) Elrod:



Take the time during this holiday season to really appreciate each member of your family and enjoy your time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment