Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mother's Day Weekend:

I am so far behind in posting, I'll try to get caught up some.
Friday:
I got up as usual to get ready for work but felt so horrible, all I wanted to do was go back to bed. Work has been busy so I went ahead and went in. Mid-morning, John noticed I how tired I was and told me I looked awful. (thanks, John LOL) At first, I wasn't going to but by noon I was really dragging. Went home and slept for a solid five hours!! Then I went to bed at ten and fell right to sleep. I've been pretty exhausted for quite a while and I need to learn to pace myself when I do feel good not to overdo it.
Having an autoimmune disease is the pits!!
Saturday:
Dwayne went to the field and plowed all day. In the afternoon, I went to my sister, Judy's for my great-nephew, Gunner's birthday party. He is such a cute little boy and it is surprising how much he looks and acts like Troy did at that age.
We didn't do anything Saturday night, just relaxed and watched TV. I prepared my dishes to take to Judy's for the next day.

This is a favorite at our house and family. A lady from church brought this dish to a funeral dinner and it has been a hit.
Grape Salad:
4 lbs. seedless grapes, washed and dried overnight
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
Mix softened cream cheese, sour cream and sugar together, whip for 5 minutes.
Place grapes in bowl and gently mix with the cream cheese mixture.
Place grape mixture in 9x13 inch glass pan.
Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
Top the grapes with the brown sugar/pecans mixture. Carefully mix some of this mixture down into the grapes and then spread remaining on top of grapes. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.


I found this recipe on the Pioneer Woman's blog. Since our family is "Mountain Dew Aholics", I thought anything with Mountain Dew has to be a hit!! And this dish is definitely a hit with everyone.
Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings:
2 whole Granny Smith Apples
2 cans (8 oz.) Crescent Rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon, use to your taste
1 can (12 oz.) Mountain Dew Soda
Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll.
Place in a 9x13 buttered pan.
Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla,stir and pour entire mixture over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with Cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream and spoon some the sweet sauce from the pan over the top.

Sunday:
I went to Sunday School and Church. I was pleasantly surprised to see April at Church for the worship service. Her life is so hectic it is sometimes hard for her to get to the services. Below is a picture of my gift from her, coffee with dishtowels wrapped around it and secured with ribbon and a pewter cross. April and my sister, Kate are really crafty. They look at something online or in a store and create it themselves.


I am so happy God blessed me with such a loving daughter.


Our family went to my sister, Judy's for Mother's Day Dinner. All three of Judy's kids were there and I actually had all three of mine present, plus Mike. The biggest surprise of all was my brother, Russ' visit. We knew he was coming home for a visit from Arizona on the 15th but did not expect him to surprise Mom by showing up at dinner time on Mother's Day. Mom and Dad both were so pleasantly surprised and happy to have Russ home. All five of us siblings were present that day.
Sunday evening, we watched our regular TV shows, Extreme Makeover-Home Edition, Desperate Housewives and Army Wives.

I am so thankful we were all together for Mother's Day and appreciate our parents and the life they have given each one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment